When you mention China people tend to envisage uniformly clothed peasant workers, a sea of bicycles, stir-fried noodles and the notorious squatting toilets. However, this vast nation is a land of mesmerising and eye-opening contradictions – from fairytale karsts pinnacles to arid endless desert, from epic waterways to mind-blowing peaks, from well preserved old towns to dazzling skyscrapers, from colourful traditional performances to impressive synchronized spectacles, from a close-up glimpse of lively ethnic minorities to never-ending culinary adventure.
China may be modernising but the world’s oldest continuous civilisation is a museum of imperial relics, stupendous scenery and off-the-scale massive landmarks.
- Take an unforgettable walk on the Great Wall of China
- Ponder the legends and myths of the Army of Terracotta Warriors
- Size up the largest Buddha sculpture in the world in Leshan
- Visit the Giant Panda Research Base to meet China’s endangered mammal
- Explore the picturesque ancient towns of Dali, Lijiang and Shu He
- Discover the mythical Himalayan utopia of Shangri-La
- Trek your way around the gorgeous karsts landscape of Guilin and Yangshuo
- Gaze out over the amazing Dragon’s Backbone Rice Terraces in Long Sheng
- Meander among the well preserved Hakka Tulous in Yongding County
- Get a glimpse of various ethnic minorities’ cultures while watching spectacular performances
- Experience China’s lively markets and delicious local flavours