Wondering what to pack for your next trip? Having a travel packing list is the most effective way to make sure that you have got everything you need for your vacation. Our packing list can help you remember what to pack and offer tips how to travel light.
Clothes/Footwear Check List
Clothing: For travelling your clothing should be casual and designed for comfort. Pack lightweight clothes that are easily washed and not too delicate. For cold weather layering is a way of clothing to ensure you stay dry and comfortable without having to rely on lots of extra clothing. It usually consist of a base layer worn next to the skin, an insulation layer in the middle (usually wool or fleece) and an outer layer that protects the other layers from elements (usually a waterproof jacket). Each layer should be made from a breathable fabric that helps transport perspiration away from the skin (a process known as wicking). For hot weather choose lightweight synthetic or poly/cotton fabrics that dry quickly, and wick and breathe well.
Footwear: The shoes should feel snug around your entire foot. Lace them firmly (but not too tightly) and check your foot is held securely in place. Leather is warm, supportive and durable while fabrics reduces weight and improves breathability. The best choice is a well-made leather/fabric upper, producing a lightweight shoe that breathes well. A sock is only as good as the fibres that go into it. The sock should have a good mixture of wicking (Coolmax, Polyester or Polypropylene) and absorption (wool or cotton) blend to keep feet dry and prevent blisters. Wool tends to be a lot more hygienic than synthetic fibers and cotton. For this reason, it is likely to be less smelly and much more suited for long-day trips.
A practical clothing/footwear list should include:-
- Good pair of walking shoes/hiking boots (specifically for walking/hiking)
- Comfortable pair of shoes/trainers/sandals (optional for cities & the evening)
- Non fancy pair of flip flops (for showers & the beach)
- Socks (preferably with a moisture-wicking blend to keep feet dry & prevent blisters ex. Coolmax or Polypropylene, 100% cotton is not recommended)
- Long trousers, cropped trousers &/or shorts (convertible pants are very handy)
- Long skirts for women (shorts & sometimes even skirts are forbidden inside many temples)
- Short-sleeve shirts & t-shirts (revealing tops are not acceptable in most temples)
- Long-sleeve t-shirt/sweatshirt or cardigan
- Smart casual outfit (optional for theatre, shows etc.)
- Hooded lightweight jacket/raincoat preferably waterproof & breathable (for warm regions)
- Warm sweaters (wool & fleece are recommended) (for cold regions)
- Warm winter jacket preferably waterproof and breathable (for cold regions)
- Thermal long-sleeve vests and long under pants (for cold regions)
- Scarf, gloves and beanie (can be bought locally) (for cold regions)
- Sun hat and good quality sunglasses
- Swimming gear (for warm regions)
It is recommended that you pack a mixture of clothing, from shorts to long trousers, from t-shirts to long-sleeve cardigan/sweater, a warm light jacket or fleece, & seasonal clothing (for cold/warm region). The best way to deal with weather unpredictability is to wear layered clothing that will make you comfortable in both chilly & warm weather. Regarding footwear, the most comfortable thing to wear is a good pair of walking shoes or trainers. High heels, straps & thongs are not recommended.
Miscellaneous Check List
Other useful items should include the following:-
- Backpack (max. 70 litres) or Standard Sized Suitcase
- Travel Daypack
- Medium sized bath towels (quick drying towels are recommended)
- Toiletries and personal care products (in travelling size bottles)
- Wet wipes and toilet paper for trains & public toilets (can be bought locally)
- Washing gear (nylon cord, clothes-pins & washing powder/liquid)
- Money belt to keep your money/credit cards secure
- Earplugs and eye-shade for planes, trains & buses
- Lightweight travel blanket for night buses
- Water bottle & stainless steel/enamel/melamine mug
- Electrical multi adaptor for electronic equipment
- Torch/flash light
- Alarm clock
- Folding umbrella
- Mini sewing kit
And most important of all don’t forget your camera, extra batteries, battery charger & films/memory cards.